We are pleased to announce that Detentions Division Captain, Kevin Duffy has been selected to receive the Colorado Attorney General’s 2016 Excellence in Law Enforcement Award. Attorney General Cynthia H. Coffman will present the award to Captain Duffy on Monday, December 19, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. in the Jury Assembly Room at the Robert A. Christensen Justice Center, located at 4000 Justice Way, Castle Rock, CO 80109.
Captain Duffy started his career at the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office in 1989; shortly thereafter he took an interest in helping young people in the community. While serving as a Deputy Sheriff Kevin:
- Created the Juvenile Street Gang/Occult Criminal Intel Officer position,
- Served as an Explorer Post Advisor,
- Was one of our first School Resource Officers in Douglas County,
- Became a Juvenile Investigator, and
- Started the Juvenile SHODI, (Serious Habitual Offender Direct Intervention) program, here in Douglas County.
In his role as a School Resource Officer at Douglas County High School, Captain Duffy went above and beyond what was required, including volunteering to become one of the high school’s football coaches. Captain Duffy saw this as another way to connect to Douglas County youth, and took the opportunity to be a mentor and positive influence in their lives.
Over the next 20 years he saw what this new reality was like and invited others to join him to serve the youth of this community by constantly spearheading new ideas and ways to accomplish these goals. Captain Duffy has;
- Served on the Juvenile Assessment Center (JAC) Advisory Board
- Served on the JAC Executive Board and is currently the Chairman,
- Served on the Teen Suicide Education and Prevention Committee,
- Formed the DC Coalition for Suicide Prevention and Education,
- Currently serves on the Metro Mayors Youth Selection Committee,
- Served on the Drug Abuse and Resistance Education Board, and on the Youth Education and Safety in Schools Board
- Became the Team Commander of the DCSO Child Abduction Response Team,
- Was extremely involved in the Youth Leadership Douglas County Program,
- Was involved in the Development Committee for the Family Resource Center,
- Is the Chairman of the Douglas County Placement Alternative Commission,
- Is on the HB1451 Collaborative Management Projects Committee.
He also served on the Douglas County Government Benefits and Retirement Committee. In many circumstances, Captain Duffy gave up his own personal time to participate in these committees and boards.
“As the Sheriff of Douglas County, it is important to me that the Sheriff’s Office goes above and beyond to make a difference in our community. Captain Duffy exemplifies dedication and service to the citizens of Douglas County. It is because of him that many relationships between the Sheriff’s Office and the community have been established and I am very proud of him.” Sheriff Spurlock said.
Members of the community and the media are welcome to attend this presentation.