WHAT: Sheriff David A. Weaver enacts “Douglas County Open Fire and Open Burning Restriction Ordinance” Stage 1 for the unincorporated areas of Douglas County.
NARRATIVE: By Order of Sheriff David A. Weaver Stage 1 fire restrictions, are now in place. Ordinance No. O-012-004, restricting open fires, open burning and the use of fireworks in the unincorporated areas of Douglas County.
General Guidance on Stage 1 restrictions follows below:
- Open burning of any kind.
- Use of fireworks.
- Fires within liquid-fueled or gas-fueled stoves, fireplaces within buildings, charcoal grill fires within developed residential or commercial areas, and fires within wood burning stoves within buildings only.
- Professional fireworks displays permitted according to section 12-28-103 of the C.R.S.
- Fire suppression or fire department training fires.
- Small recreational fires at developed picnic or campground sites contained in fixed permanent metal/steel fire pits (rock fire rings are considered temporary and not permanent) with flame lengths not in excess of four feet or the residential use of charcoal grills, tiki torches, fires in chimineas or other portable fireplaces or patio fire pits, so long as said fires are supervised by a responsible person at least 18 years of age.
- Professional fireworks displays.
Violation of these fire restrictions is a Class-2 Petty Offense, punishable by up to a $1000.00 fine and a $10.00 surcharge.
Additional information on fire restriction stages can be located at the Douglas County Emergency Management website: