What to do about common Scams!
Scammers target people from all age groups, but the age group they like to target most is the older adult group (seniors). These criminals will act like your friend, but they will be more than happy to put you in the poor house if they can.
Please encourage the people you know to REMEMBER:
- If you have to send money to win money, IT IS A SCAM! IT IS ILLEGAL TO PARTICIPATE IN FOREIGN LOTTERIES!
- If you receive any calls from Jamaica, the 876 area code, IT IS A SCAM! (SCAMMERS CAN NOW USE TECHNOLOGY TO CALL FROM DIFFERENT AREA CODES – EVEN IF THEY ARE CALLING FROM JAMAICA)
- If you get a check in the mail and you are asked to wire (or purchase a money card) to send some of the money back to the sender, IT IS A SCAM!
- If a caller advises you that your computer has a problem and they need to “remote in” to fix it, IT IS A SCAM!
- If a kid calls and states he is your grandson or nephew and he needs money to get out of jail, IT IS A SCAM!
- If someone you meet on a dating website asks you for money for any reason, IT IS A SCAM!
- If a Nigerian or Canadian Official sends you a letter or an email for any reasons, IT IS A SCAM!
- If you receive an email from one of your friends advising they took a last minute trip to a foreign country and got robbed and now they need money to get home, IT IS A SCAM!
- If a caller advises they can lower the interest rate on your credit card and they need your card number to make it happen, IT IS A SCAM!
- If a caller asks you for any financial information or personal information, IT IS A SCAM! Unless you initiated the call and you know for sure who you are talking to.
- If a caller tells you that you have committed a crime, they are from law enforcement, they have a warrant for your arrest, and you must send money to pay a fine, IT IS A SCAM!
- If a caller tells you that someone has purchased a “Life Alert” for you and they need a credit card number to charge the fees, IT IS A SCAM!
- Please continue to use COMMON SENSE when dealing with people you don’t know who call, write or email you. You have the power to beat these criminals – USE THAT POWER! DON’T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN – KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT!