The citizens of Douglas County may file their own report for lost or missing property. While lost property is not a law enforcement matter in the strictest sense, taking this type of report is a service that the Sheriff’s Office will provide to our citizens. However, since it is not a criminal matter that requires investigation, deputies need not be involved in the reporting process.
Lost or missing property reports will be handled by having the citizen complete a Missing/Lost Property Report and submitting the form to the Records Unit. The form has been designed to be ‘user friendly’ and its completion is self-explanatory. These reports are not to be used for stolen property and please complete them with as much information as possible.
The form may be obtained in one of the following manners:
- Picked up, in person, from the Sheriff’s Office Records Unit; Justice Center, 4000 Justice Way, Castle Rock, CO 80109. Click on Directions to the left under “Help Me With”.
- Downloaded and printed form. Click here to get the form Missing/Lost Property Form
- Faxed by the Records Unit to citizen.
Once completed, the citizen may forward the form to Sheriff’s Office Records Unit by any of the following:
- Turn it in personally to the Sheriff’s Office Records Unit.
- Mail it to Records Unit. (Mail to: Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, Attention RECORDS UNIT, 4000 Justice Way; Castle Rock, CO 80109)
- Send it via Facsimile to Records Unit, 303-688-2602.
Once received by the Records Unit, a Records clerk will verify that all necessary information is on the report and obtain a case report number for the report. If there is a make and serial number provided, the item will be entered into the State computer system in case it is located in another jurisdiction.
Citizens are encouraged to call the Records Unit during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 303-660-7545, the day after they submit their report to obtain their case number and/or a copy of their report.