The narcotics unit is responsible for the detection, investigation, analysis, deterrence and arrest of violators involved in narcotic related activities. The investigators within this unit conduct undercover operations and surveillance.
The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office participates in several multi-agency task forces designed to identify, investigate and dismantle major drug trafficking organizations operating in the Denver metropolitan area. These task forces include the Front Range Drug Task Force, Metro Gang Task Force, and DEA.
The Sheriff’s Office provides additional personnel to the Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA). These department members are specifically assigned to training. Since the inception of the HIDTA program, approximately 10,427 officers have been trained in topics ranging from basic drug investigation to drug unit commander training. With this training, deputies, through the development of a focused operation plan, have intercepted and interrupted drug trafficking in the Metropolitan area.
Responsibilities of the Narcotics Unit include:
- Investigating and interdicting the importation of illegal drugs
- Investigating and arresting drug dealers and buyers who engage in illegal drug transactions.
- Assisting prosecuting agencies in preparing successful narcotics cases for court
- Preparing narcotics-related civil and criminal forfeiture cases involving illegal profits derived from drug transactions
- Collecting, archiving and disseminating narcotics-related intelligence for successful narcotics investigations and prosecutions
For additional information, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org