You can apply for concealed handgun permits and renewals at two of the Sheriff’s offices. Please do not bring your weapon.
- Douglas County Sheriff’s Office – 4000 Justice Way, Castle Rock 80109
Hours – Monday through Friday, except holidays, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Highlands Ranch Substation – 9250 Zotos Drive, Highlands Ranch 80129
Hours – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, except holidays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Get a new concealed handgun permit
The DCSO is committed to preserving citizens’ Second Amendment rights while ensuring community safety and adhering to the law.
To get a new permit:
- Download and print out new permit packet or pick one up from our offices.
- Do not sign the application. You must sign it under oath at the Sheriff’s Office.
- You’re required to turn in your application, supporting documents and payment in person.
- You’ll be photographed and fingerprinted when you submit your application.
- Pay a non-refundable $152.50 fee. That pays for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation’s fingerprint processing and the sheriff’s services. We accept credit cards, cash and checks made payable to “Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.” Additional fees may apply for credit cards.
- Show proof of residency in Douglas County with a driver’s license, state ID or military ID.
**When valid proof of military service is presented at the time of the application submission, Douglas County Sheriff’s Office (DCSO) will waive DCSO fees – CBI fees will still be collected.
- Present certified training certificates that show you’re competent with a handgun. Note:Web-based handgun safety courses are allowed if the instructor has worked with the students face-to-face to evaluate their safety skills. Hunter safety education courses are not allowed. To check if your class meets the requirements, first ask Concealed Handgun Specialist at 303-814-7660.
Renew your permit
Please note due to new laws in Colorado, you must submit your renewal in the County that you reside in.
If you are a Douglas County Resident and currently have a Douglas County Permit, within 90 days before your permit expires, you’ll be mailed a renewal application and an affidavit of continued firearms qualification. Complete them and have your signature notarized on both forms. You can also wait to sign and notarize the forms at the Sheriff’s Office for a $5 fee.
If you are a Douglas County Resident and currently have a permit issued from another county, within 90 days before your permit expires you may pick up the renewal application at the Sheriff’s Office in Castle Rock Monday through Friday, 0r at the Highlands Ranch Substation on Wednesdays only. The affidavit of continued firearms qualification will need to be notarized. You can have the form notarized here at the Sheriff’s Office for a $5 fee.
The cost to renew your permit is $63. The fee is for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation’s background check and for the Sheriff’s services. We accept credit cards, cash and checks made payable to “Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.” Additional fees may apply for credit cards.
When you bring valid proof of military service at the time of the application submission, Douglas County Sheriff’s Office (DCSO) will waive DCSO fees. Note: CBI fees will still be collected.
If you’re still eligible to carry, you’ll get a new permit within 90 days.
Change of address
Need to tell us you’ve moved? Fill out this change of address form and mail it, drop it off or fax it to 303-688-2602.