Effective April 8, 2020, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office will be following Executive Order D 2020 029 ordering the temporary suspension of certain regulatory statutes due to the presence of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Colorado to include the following regarding Sex Offender Registration:
- I temporarily suspend the requirement in C.R.S. § 16-22-108(6) that any person required to register as a sex offender shall sit for a current photograph or image and shall supply a set of fingerprints to verify the person’s identity to local law enforcement, to provide local law enforcement agencies with discretion to determine the manner of registration in light of social distancing requirements in place during the COVID-19 pandemic. THE MANDATE TO REGISTER REMAINS UNCHANGED AND RESIDENCY VERIFICATIONS ARE STILL BEING COMPLETED PER STATE STATUTE.
THE DOUGLAS COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE IS STILL REGISTERING SEX OFFENDERS, however, all Sex Offender Registrations will be completed over the phone only, until further notice. This phone registration process includes:
- NEW Sex Offender Registrations
- TRANSFER of Sex Offender Registrations from another Law Enforcement Agency or out of state.
- RE-REGISTRATION OF Sex Offenders already in the DCSO SOTAR database.
- RESIDENCY CHANGES of Sex Offenders within Douglas County.
To request a phone registration appointment, contact Administrative Specialist Patricia Ognie with the Sex Offender Registration Department at 303-784-7820. Leave your name, date of birth and a phone number, and you will be contacted to set up a phone registration appointment.
Those Sex Offenders that are required to sit for a current photograph and/or fingerprints (C.R.S. § 16-22-108(6) will be contacted when restrictions are lifted to complete these items and the appropriate fees will be collected.
There are two ways to learn about registered sex offenders:
- SOTAR – On this website, you can search for sex offenders or register to be emailed or texted when an offender moves into your neighborhood. Note, the SOTAR list only contains the names of serious sex offenders who qualified by state statute to be placed on the list.
- Get a FREE complete printed copy of all of the sex offenders listed in your area at the sheriff’s office at 4000 Justice Way, Castle Rock, Colorado. You will need to present a valid ID and fill out two request forms. We cannot mail, email or fax the list.
Think someone you know is a sex offender?
Some sex offenders fail to register and may engage in questionable behavior. If you suspect someone of being a sex offender, please report it to Detective Charlie Erickson at 303-784-7828 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. In most cases, you can remain anonymous.
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) maintains a website of sex offenders who have failed to register and who have been convicted of two or more crimes involving unlawful sexual behavior. The list will contain the sex offender’s photograph, physical description, last known address, and conviction information.