The Sheriff’s Office allows people and groups to tour the office and go on ride alongs with deputies in the field. The program was initiated to foster greater community understanding and awareness of the mission and activities of the Sheriff’s Office. The tours and ride alongs give residents a chance to see how the office works, understand the demands and dangers placed on deputies and see their tax dollars at work.
Take a tour
See the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office in action. To ask about or schedule a tour call 303.660.7544 or fill out the form below and we will get back to you.
Guidelines for all tours:
- Children are not allowed to tour the jail.
- If tours become too disruptive they will be discontinued.
- No children under the age of 6 allowed on the tour.
- A 1:5 parent to child ratio is required for all tours.
To schedule a ride along with our deputies, please call 303.660.7546 or email Angie White at awhite@DCSheriff.net
. Please make your request at least 72 hours in advance.
When you go on a ride along, you’ll accompany a deputy during their normal duties. Deputies will respond to calls for service. It’s possible that a call will involve physical danger and serious risks. While every effort will be made to ensure your safety, deputies’ first responsibility is to carry out their duties. In emergencies, you must immediately and without question comply with all orders and directions given to you by deputies.
Ride along rules:
- You must complete a waiver, release and indemnification form.
- You must be at least 16 years old. Anyone under the age of 18 must have parental approval.
- You must have a valid driver’s license.
- All rides are scheduled for a full 10-hour shift. You may request a shorter time period but it will be at the discretion of the sergeant on duty.
- You will begin your ride at the sheriff’s office and be returned to the office at the end of the ride.
- The passenger must be neatly and appropriately dressed in slacks, a suit or other professional attire. The rider’s hair will be clean and neatly groomed.
- No weapons, recording devices, flashlights and scanners are allowed on the ride along.
- The deputy may terminate your ride at any time if you are unruly, fail to obey instructions or distract the deputy. A supervisor may also terminate your ride.
- You may only participate as a rider once every six months.